19th May 2014
Beacon Counselling exists to improve the lives of adults, young people and children experiencing mental and emotional distress. We achieve our mission by providing a range of therapeutic services to individuals and groups. We work in communities, schools, GPs, charities, and other settings to deliver our services and help 1500 people a year in Greater Manchester and Cheshire.
Our services are targeted, evidence-based, and effective, with people benefiting from improved mental health and well-being, better relationships and coping skills, and the resilience to deal with problems now and in the future.
Our approach to designing services, collaboration, and evidence of success has earned has a Queen's Award, a Glaxo-SmithKline IMPACT Award, and the NCVO Charity Governance award.
Beacon Counselling has delivered since 1984. Since 2008 we have grown significantly by targeting gaps in provision for specific needs in the population. Examples of our successful projects are:
- Better outcomes for victims of domestic violence
- Improved mental health for young people who are NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training)
- Waiting list reduction for NHS patients in Stockport
- Preparing adults for employment
- Preventing exclusions from mainstream education
- Managing Academic Pressure (innovative programme to improve academic performance)
- Living Life to the Full (nationally validated programme to help people raise and maintain well-being)
Each of these have had a material impact on beneficiaries and we have evaluation reports for each.
Our purpose is empowering connection. An empowered connection with yourself means you have the resilience and the tools to achieve more, and empowered connections with others are at the heart of a good society. Through empowering connection we help people to deal with the problems they face today, and provide them with the personal skills to tackle future challenges without the need for our support. In being successful we help create the social capital needed in communities, thus empowering them to create and deliver their own solutions.